Sunday, August 09, 2009

Freaky weather



This cell caused property damage a few miles east of us. It did not, however, spoil the Bloomin' Onion we ate at Outback that night. We were hungry, having driven that day some 13 hours or so.

(Note: My wife Juli says that the contrasts on the video were washed out when I posted this and there's not that much here to hold your interest. She also says that the music is, um, "repetitive." She says I need to tell you here to be sure to watch until the end where you'll be rewarded with a cool lightning strike. Not where you are in the chair. On the video. My wife is usually right about these things, so I figure I'd follow here advice.)

6 comments:

Technoprairie said...

Did that lightning strike anywhere near you?

Mike Bailey said...

I don't think so. It was close to be sure. The lapse between the flash and the sound was certainly very very short. Interestingly, had I been holding something other than a camera, I might have dropped it. But the camera is somehow...fortifying. Strange.

marmaladeinstead said...

I like your wife's comments; I also like the big lightning at the end. On a related note, I think it's interesting how thunderstorms can make such an impression on those who are in them, but the retelling never quite causes the listener to be as awed as the person who actually experienced the storm's power. I've been in some crazy midwestern storms, but when I've tried to tell people about them, I've just gotten "mmhmms" or nods or blank stares. So now I think of thunderstorms as a kind of personal and awe-inspiring event.

Which is not to say I didn't like the video...because I like storms. A lot.

Mike Bailey said...

M: That's a great insight, but perhaps it holds true for a wider range of natural events. Describing vistas, for example, or beauty.

Glad to have you back, btw!!

Joyf said...

When I was a child reading Anne of Green Gables and such I swore to myself that I'd never include more than a sentence of description in one chunk. Those paragraphs of hers killed me. Another author, J.K. Rowling, does better what Chekov recommended: painting a whole scene with a single suggestive detail. You notice some rural Georgians with their "mountainisms" doing just that (I wish I could think of an example) - thus proving the value of the simile, I suppose.

Mike Bailey said...

I've never read that book. I didn't grow up on fiction I'm a touch ashamed to admit.

I am enjoying HP, however. It's cute. Perhaps charming is a better word.