Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Ode to Georgia O'Keefe: My 800th post


This post did not work out the way I had originally intended. Natch.

The photo above I quite like, and I worked on it for a good long time--longer, in fact, than I spent on the photo in the last post. It's very painterly, and it vaguely captures either a cross, or a landscape, or perhaps something altogether different in the style of Georgia O'Keefe. I like the colors, but I juiced them up a bit much, perhaps.

The next two photos all came from the same ur-photo from which I made the image above, but I was less successful with them in capturing anything of note. I included them here only to show y'all the crazy malleability one has to create images (or distort them, depending upon on how one looks at it) with even a rudimentary photo software program such as the one I often use.





Chimp in the china shop that I am, I failed to save the ur-photo that produced these three other images. The third photo is the closest to the original; I only changed the color scheme by converting it to its negative then turning it sepia-toned. It's an image of one of the oversized spotlights that lights up our city's trademark, the clock tower. The untouched photo below is another (different) photo of the same lamp, and I include it here to show you the coloring of the ur-photo.



Y'all ready for a non-sequitur coda?

I find non-sequiturs, especially narrative or emotional non-sequiturs very amusing, and they're right at the core of this blog, baby.

Like this. See what I mean?

See how you're floating in a bizarro-world of self-referentiality? It feels good, doesn't it? Especially the part right before your head explodes. Poof.

Oh, on second look that blue oval is hypnotizing. I can't look away.

Big.

Blue.

Oval.

11 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

Happy 800. May there be many more.

Mike Bailey said...

You're a good man, bro. Thanks. Of course, you're my muse. Wait, that came out all wrong. How 'bout this? Thanks for answering all my blogging questions along the way.

Attention readers: ST here has an excellent (and sane) political blog, the link for which can be found on the main page of this blog. Visit it.

Technoprairie said...

Stephen is also memorized by the big blue oval. As am I. You could probably use that image for some kind of subliminal message.

The last picture makes me think of pictures of surgery room lights in bad sci fi movies where the mad scientist is about to change the DNA of something like a bunny and make it a demonic killer bunny.

Steven Taylor said...

Linklove! What every blogger craves.

Gracias.

Mike Bailey said...

Stephen likes the big blue oval, huh? Good for him. It's kind of mesmerizing, isn't? Did I spell that correctly?

Anonymous said...

The big blue oval is indeed mesmerizing. In that it looks like the patriotic paper plates they use at church Labor Day picnics where old men steal kisses between rounds of horseshoes and you're nearly guaranteed a cool breeze or two regardless of the temperature. Or a new, full, fresh bucket of paint waiting to be used in a 'Fixing Up The Old Family Home' montage. Whichever. :0)

Andy D. said...

Nope. "mesmurizin' "

Andy D. said...

Yes it's great to be at #800, and Congrats!

ST, thanks for your comments and clarifications on the pickle post, although.... It's worse than I feared. Much worse. I'd envisioned sort of "empassioned drive" to take those.... And instead I find it was more "just shootin jars on the porch while my friend is trying to talk seriously about work...". And you left out a description that I kind of believe is more accurate - I suspect it was more "manically shootin every jar on the porch...."

Smart move on the lids, though. No one needs to be dealing with malaria in this day and age.

Susan Hasbrouck said...

Happy 800th to you!
Happy 800th to you!
Happy 800th dear MB!
Happy 800th to you!

And many more........

Here's to a blog life well lived thus far!

Joyf said...

I actually find the shades of pale blue-green in the last photo very intriguing.

Mike Bailey said...

JoyF--

Just the original colors. They're kind of underwatery, aren't they?