Monday, August 10, 2009

My days in 'Nam



Ladies and gentleman, I invited a special guest writer, my wife Juli, to contribute the following story. Enjoy.

"Some of you, like Andy D, are begging professormikey for a more personal look into his life. I just want you to be careful what you wish for. Flashback with me about 12 years to our pre-children lives. At that time, professormikey had a pretty constant soundtrack in the house of his precious Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Jimmy Hendrix CDs. He also had a habit of, whenever seeing a vivid shade of green, commenting that "This is the green of Vietnam." He was an avid fan of Full Metal Jacket and Deer Hunter. Apocalypse Now is a movie he had memorized and one we watched monthly (or maybe it just seemed that way). During one average ordinary run-of-the-mill evening at our house, I actually had to emphatically exclaim "You are NOT a Vietnam War vet, remember?" I think I startled and upset him a little with that. He laughed it off....but I'm sure he was trying to figure out what else could account for the flashbacks and PTSD that we all were suffering through with him.

This is actually a picture from a bamboo forest in Alabama. But don't tell professormikey that. We don't want to upset him."

6 comments:

Susan Hasbrouck said...

Everything is beginning to make sense now.

Andy D. said...

WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA Ho Ho, HOLD ON here just a minute!

No one -- not one of us -- has asked for a more personal look! Dear Lord, no!

Fellow readers, before you contradict me, I can attest that the words JB has written here are ALL TOO TRUE. If indeed it were thought scientifically possible for a human to "acquire" memories for himself based solely off seeing Hollywood movies about that subject -- in this case MB and his Vietnam experience -- we have proof positive that the theory holds true. Many people can recite lines from their favorite comedy movie.... MB can recite the entire script of Apocolypse Now through a straw from memory, as though submerged in the swamps of Nam... Quite a unique skill.

But before we go down that road, let's simply reset: The Request, as it is known, was simply to see "two or three pics of your favorate places in and around Rome."

NOT -- "Any photo that reminds you of a psuedomemory, fictitious outing, other should've moment, or somehow touching on any neurotic thought..."

AMD

Elisheba said...

I think it's actually kind of logical to view Rome as a quagmire of suffering highly likely to induce neuroses...

Joyf said...

Off topic, but this photo is truly lovely and I'd like to have it where I can see it often.

Steven Taylor said...

I thoroughly enjoyed that entry from your guest writer.

Mike Bailey said...

JoyF--

Awww....thanks. I may get in the bizness of printing out some of my photos. If I do, I'll let you know.