Thursday, April 30, 2009

reflection of headstone in water collected in an urn



How's that for a descriptive title? So here's what you need to know this morning (3:30 am).

1. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and made three-bean salad. It's for a department picnic today. I didn't have celery powder. Strike one. Also, because I was tired, I accidentally poured cooking wine rather than red wine vinegar into it. Not too much, though; probably only a bottle or two. (Or a couple of tablespoons worth.) Strike two. And I can't think of strike three, so it'll probably be fine.

2. You will all be relieved to know that I'm almost finished posting creepy photos. Let me be more specific. Creepy photos from my trip to NOLA. Maybe one or two more. And they aren't creepy.

3. This is one of those photos that was much better in idea than execution. In this cemetery there were urns in front of some of the tombs. I got the idea of getting close to the urn (or whatever it was; probably not an urn but a bird bath or something) and wanted to get a nice photo of the words on the headstone in the reflection. But I could never find a decent angle and the lighting was bad and, worse, the water was icky and had leaves in it. So I couldn't make it work. But I loved the idea so much that I couldn't bring myself to delete the darn thing. Not only that, I decided to post the photo to torture you with it as well.

Please don't be ashamed of me. Really, I need the mercy. I know the picture stinks. And maybe in the fullness of time I'll delete it.

4. No one likes the fishmouth photo. I've been told as much. To which I respond: Suffer.

I probably shouldn't have made that "point 4." After asking for mercy from you and all. Sometimes I show bad judgment that way. I should have switched points 3 and 4. Dang.

5. Here's some fun news. I found out who "Formerstudent" was, and I'm way flattered because it's a former communication major who is a very fine photographer and an all-around multimedia savvy guy. He produced some cute videos/movies that a former pastor and I acted in for a Vacation Bible School program. Not only acted but also wrote the dialogue for. Basically that meant that he and I goofed around in front of the camera in four different locations. It turns out I'm a really bad actor. An entertaining one, true, but not a good one. Anyway, Formerstudent filmed and directed the skits, and then he edited it and produced it. He did a great job. For the longest time I thought that Formerstudent was a female, because I assume that some 79,000 of my 83,000 readers are female. Mostly because men are heartless and they don't care for me welfare. But after Formerstudent started acting unforgiving on the blog--telling me to get off my ass, for instance, and start posting again--I began to suspect that maybe Formerstudent was a dude.

I'm good that way. Just ask Justcurious. I'm simply terrific at guessing my pseudonymous followers.

1 comment:

formerstudent said...

And so alas, this will be my last post. I feel I can no longer comment with as much truth and wit now that my cloak of anonymity has been removed. A sad day for sure.




Oh, who am I kidding? I can't keep my comments to myself. Self-censorship has never been one of my strengths. Just ask my wife!