Friday, April 10, 2009

takin it and makin mine



That is is what I did to (how I violated?) this funky mural/sculpture by Cafe du Monde:



And these are the beignets that I ordered at Cafe du Monde. My children want to go to NOLA--desperately--and all on account of these beignets. Or, more precisely, for the powdered sugar on the beignets. My oldest child in particular becomes downright frantic when she eats her powdered sugar-covered pancakes. As the meal progresses, the atmosphere around her becomes a cloud, as though a confectionery cavalry came trampling into a graham cracker village of powdered sugar streets.



Three beignets per order. Cafe du Monde: that's how they do. They're good that way. True, the beignets hasten death, and quickly, but they're worth it. Life isn't just about quantity, you know. (Unless you're quantifying beignets.) I think an order is intended for 2-3 people, but seeing how I visited the cafe by myself, I thought it a sin to see such earthly sweetness go to waste. So I sinned as little as possible.

The damage:



I've been to NOLA three times, and each time I've gone to Cafe du Monde and ordered the beignets along with a cup or two of chicory. It's a combination that makes for quite the buzz. The first time I left the restaurant I was dizzy and frighteningly wired for a good half-hour. Beignets plus chicory may induce a stronger high than cocaine. True, I speculate, but my uncanny post-beignet resemblance to Pacino's Scarface suggests otherwise.

4 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

Cool and colorful.

timekeeper said...

Still laughing. My sides hurt.

Technoprairie said...

Yay for the beignets! They are fantastic. Of course everything I ate in NOLA was fantastic. They can't make bad food down there as far as I'm concerned.

And after all, which life would you rather have - a shorter beignet, cotton candy, cheesecake, caramel life or a longer veggie life?

Joyf said...

If you think we're gonna believe you didn't snarf up that last bite of beignet you left for composition after the shot was taken, you're fooling yourself.