Saturday, May 02, 2009

Enough with the death already!! (I'm being told).

I'm being told to move on to cheerier things. Or at least to less deceased things. My poor readers should not spend more time in NOLA cemeteries on this blog than I did in person during my visit. Nothing against NOLA. Or cemeteries. But come on, mb! that's what I'm being told. So before I move on (for now) I want to slip in just a few more death-inspired photos.



I like the composition, but the clarity is bad, drat it all. This time it's the camera's fault, not me. Or so I tell myself.



I didn't digitally alter this photo. I don't know if the green shading came from moss, or whether the lighting was bad, or if the camera is bad. Or what. I tried to ramp up the green effect to make it look more otherworldly, but it turns out that this photo just wants to stay as taken.



I like the composition, plus it has the benefit of featuring a hand. Which, as you well know, is always a good thing. I like pure composition, but if there's nothing representational going on in an image then one risks the possibility of creating decoration--a drapery design, or something resembling the perfectly vague and safe abstract corporate paintings created to blend in with the carpet or the furniture. True, this photo could blend in with carpet, but only I would like the carpet.



I recently looked at some of my earlier photos on the blog. I was struck by how many of my photos today are overly busy. I wanted to make a very simple photo with a limited color range and a simple composition. This is still kind of busy because I punched up the contrast a little and brought forward the marbling effect. Live and learn, I guess.




Again, I was going for mood here. Again, I was going for contemplative loneliness. I'm not sure what mood I actually captured. More on the contemplative side and less on the lonely side, I think. At least for me.

I'm a moody photographer. In every sense. 'Tis true. But even I am sometimes amazed at how non-cerebral my photos are and how they are all about is mood. I'd like to say I'd try something else, but I wonder whether that wouldn't be like saying, "from now on, I'll wear something other than 11 1/2 size shoes." I could say it, I suppose, but what would be the point? My feet size is what they is. I be what I be.

4 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

I wonder whether that wouldn't be like saying, "from now on, I'll wear something other than 11 1/2 size shoes." I could say it, I suppose, but what would be the point? My feet size is what they is. I be what I be.Is that some kind of dig?

Mike Bailey said...

Steven--

I appreciate your comments, even this one. But you do tend to personalize things. But I would, too, were I also a 6'4" guy who wore size seven shoe size. We still all love you, freak-o.

Steven Taylor said...

What, isn't the internet all about me?

Technoprairie said...

I'm glad you gave us a few more death photos. I think that #1, #3, and #4 are my favorite graveyard pictures so far.