Sunday, February 01, 2009

aye, 'twasn't in the cards, me friend. just 'twasn't in the cards.



Technoprairie's dh's dw sent me the most delightfully thoughtful Christmas gift this year.

Wow! A new digital camera, you ask?!?

No, not quite. But that's pretty adorable of you to think that.

No, it wasn't a new camera. It was zucchini. That's was what she sent me. Zucchini.

Well, two items of zucchini. One was a bag of dried zucchini chips to be warmed and eaten like potato chips. I mean, potato chips are made from potatoes, right, and potatoes are a quasi-vegetable, just like zucchinis are quasi-food. So it might not be half-bad, I thought. Th other item was dried zucchini powder, along with a recipe for zucchini bread which incorporates the powder.

Well, here are the results. I thought the idea of dried zucchini chips, heated or otherwise, sounded altogether too frightening for human consumption. So I decided to jazz it up a little by pouring some olive oil and sprinkling some paprika on them and heating them up in the oven. All went well, and they were looking crispy and light brown. And then I rushed back literally within sixty seconds after I smelled the distinctly unforgettable smell of oily paprika-covered zucchini chips burning.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Little carbon crisps. And I knew I had to eat them or otherwise I'd never live it down.

So boy I did what I could, choking down every crispy carbon crunch I could manage.

Remarkably, the zucchini flavor remained intact, and the "burn" added flavor but in no way "covered" the zucchini flavor.

So I had that going for me.

What you see above is all the dent I could manage.

What I'd say, then, is that it was me, Technoprairie. It wasn't you, it was me. Just 'twasn't in the cards.

====

Now the zucchini powder for the zucchini bread, well, that's another story altogether. Technoprairie's dh's dsil--i.e. my dw--was good enough to make the bread for a Super Bowl party we went to my at my dp's house (dear pastor's house).

And let me say this, that zucchini bread just flat-out rocked! It was just as yummy as can be.

Tragically, however, I could not taste any zucchini. Shocking, I know.

5 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

There's still a pastor in town that will let you in his house?

Technoprairie said...

So maybe it was a Freudian slip to "let" those zucchini chips burn?

Glad to hear that the dried z powder bread worked.

Mike Bailey said...

ST--

Oh, SNAP!!!

good one. I liked it.

Tecnop--No, I did it all in good faith, and the zuchinni bread really was good. i hope all this wasn't too much teasing. of course i loved the gift; it was a classic!

Andy D. said...

Potato chips are USUALLY made from potatoes....

Mike Bailey said...

andy d--

i'm going to say nothing for now and bust out that story on the blog, and soon.