Friday, January 30, 2009

when bad photos go badder



Here's what you need to know this morning.

1. I took this photo a few years ago on while hiking with a good friend, my college's chaplain, on our huge sprawling wooded campus. On that hike we saw a pretty little green snake, a picture of which I have probably already posted before but, if not, I'll post soon so you'll see how cute he was.

2. The campus is so large that I have biked on a number of trails for years but am still discovering new nooks and crannies of the campus. While we were walking, we turned down a gravel road I'd never checked out before. Turns out that it led to this church. It was early summer and humid and warme in the late afternoon. The weather was oppressive, and the elements combined to gave me a distinctly "Deliverance" type of forboding. The church was in good repair, but it just screamed "compound" or "cult," and I expected to be snatched up from church folk coming out behind the wood piles (there were wood piles) either for a good old fashioned human sacrifice or just to abuse me.

Or both.

3. The church had a huge bee's nest under its awning (is that what that is? the part of the roof that sticks out from the house?), and you could hear the bees from a good distance away. I wanted to get close enough to take a good photo, but the bees were very active and became agitated as I approached their hive. My usual fearlessness with a camera abandoned me. I'll take confrontations with weirdos any day over an attack of swarming bees.

4. It turns out that the bees were African killer bees, and I was lucky I got away with my life!! So it turns out my judgment was prescient.

5. Number 4 is a lie.

6. The bees did add to the general creepiness of the scene, and I wondered how the parishioners could focus on the service when the bees were buzzing so loudly. Also, surely a few of the bees made it into the building.

7. The last time I was stung by a wasp was at a church we were visiting while church shopping. We church shop because we're American, and that's what you do. When you're American. You church shop. I can't recall whether we were arriving at the church or leaving, but I remember walking down a hallway and putting my hand into my pocket. If we were leaving it was to get my keys, and if we were arriving it was to send a subtle nonverbal signal to those around me that I don't want to shake their hands.

7.5. Why can't we just bow to one another instead of shaking hands?

7.75 Sometimes a handshake is a nice warm affirming moment of human contact. And sometimes it's a neutral act yet still very germy. And a few people are so bad at shaking hands that it conjures up terrible images of how their soul is corrupt and filled with bugs.

I'm just saying...bugs. Or worms. Their soul. Because their handshake is disgusting. And you know just who I'm talking about. About one in fifty people have such an awful handshake.

7.9 But as I was saying, as I reached into my pocket I pricked my finger with a needle. Or so it felt. Now why in the world I put a needle in my pocket escaped me. Then I pulled out my hand and with it I pulled out a wasp.

7.95 Why did my wife put a wasp in my pocket that morning?

8.0 At that same service, I was fixated by a wasp buzzing around my pew that kept hitting a window. Over and over again. My temptation was to do the congregants a favor and to quietly take a step to my right and squish it.

8.1 But I suspected it's wrong to use a Bible for the purpose of squishing bugs. Even stinging bugs. So I didn't kill it, or if I did my unconscious mind has suppressed the memory.

9.0 Being superstitious and seeking out signs and portents, you may be tempted to think that if you go to a church and are assaulted by a wasp and then tormented later by another one, then Satan is in that church and you should stay away. But I don't think along those lines, so it never crossed my mind.

9.4 That's not true. I did think those things and had to fight every fiber in my body from standing up, screaming "Satan is in this house!!!", and fleeing while shrieking like a a little girly man.

9.6 Because Satan was definitely in the house!

10. When I think of infestation more generally, I'm drawn to a story of Paul, a good friend of mine. Nearly as much as anything else in my life, this story sent me down a path of spiritual crisis and violent theological questioning.

It goes like this, in truncated form. Paul heard a funny kind of scratching noise under or around his bathtub. He looked everywhere and could not figure out what it was. Was it a twig rubbing against a pipe, and the noise was transmitted through the bathtub? Was the piping under strain? What? What? The sound carried on for a few days--I forget how many--and then stopped.

End of story. Or so he thought until a few months later, Paul had reason to go into the crawl space under the house.

And there he found a skeleton of a possum hanging upside down by a foot that somehow got trapped underneath the bathtub. The scratching sound had been the possum clawing for his life. Day after day.

When Paul told me this, I stopped in my tracks. Physically. Mentally. Spiritually.

It struck me instantly and overwhelming about the unimaginable amount of suffering going on at this very instant--I mean right now as you are reading this--that is unknown to anyone else. Suffering in the animal kingdom. Suffering among humans. Unbearable horrific suffering. Children who are kidnapped and hurt in horrific ways. People who are lost and terrified. People starving. Pelvic bones crushed from car accidents. Diseased bodies filling their owners' lungs with fluid. And on and on.

You have heard of mystical experiences in which a great light opens up and the mystic receives a kind of ineffable epiphany of goodness and transcendence.

I encountered the same kind of experience in reverse. What I experienced was not a chain of thinking. It was a near-physical blow of awful understanding that made my knees turn to rubber. I saw with perfect clarity the utter and complete indifference to life that characterizes the cosmos.

But who am I to think a loving god should have--tiny tap--released that poor animal's foot? I mean, where was I when god laid down the foundations of the earth? I neither know nor understand, so surely it's not my place to question any of it. That would be wicked.

11. As I may have shared with you on an earlier post, a few years ago I read a news account of an Amish family whose three daughters died when, while playing a game, they squeezed themselves into a cedar chest. When they pulled the lid down, the latch fell and caught, and the girls suffocated.

I have three daughters.

I'm confident our all-loving and omnipotent God was doing far more important things than to condescend to reach down and--tweak--unlatch the children. Oh no, all things work for good under god's providential care, and their death by suffocation surely works to the betterment of we survivors and all to god's glory. I feel better knowing that, don't you? That you can't see the obvious good that god brought about through their terror and suffocation only reveals your sinfulness.

Becuse let's not forget that our default position for our original sin should be immediate death and a one-way express ticket to hell. Anything better than that is nuthin but a mercy thang. The girls were blessed beyond all measure to make it to six years of age, the little sinners.

I'm sure these daughters' parents, who were good pious folks, instantly saw the glory of god's plan and rejoiced at their deaths. As we all should, knowing god's plan is sovereign and loving and glorious. God knows the number of hairs on our head, and he knows when a sparrow drops from the sky. He knew about this deed and gave it a great big heavenly thumb's up!

I for one know that my own faith was deepened and strengthened by reading this news account.

12. I manipulated the photo above to capture the sense of creepiness I felt at the church.

I failed.

As you can see below, nothing about the pre-manipulated photo conveys anything but sunny and bright and cheerful feelings.

13. Which is the kind of day I wish for you all today. Have a good one!!

14. Number 13 is not ironic. To acknowledge the awful is not to deny the goodness of lovely sunshine and warm days. And I do wish you a lovely day.

15. Really really.

10 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

Was "Satan in the house," or was "Satan in da house"?

It matters, you know.

(Although it is always better when "Satan has left the building.")

Susan Hasbrouck said...

Ummm. It's called a roof overhang, and that's all I have to say right now. I'm going to go crawl back under the covers and be depressed. That's what you said to do, right?

Elisheba said...

You are very lucky that you get to shake hands with the people in church. If you are a woman you are expected to hug all of these people. Or kiss them on the cheeks if they are old women, who sometimes respond by pinching your bottom and remark on what a cute little butt you have.

Just saying.

I really don't think there's be a theological problem protecting yourself from wasps using a Bible. I mean, isn't it the word itself that's holy, the container instead of the thing contained? Otherwise, it would be sin to touch the Bible at all given how horribly unclean sinners we are. If it's sin to kill a wasp, I doubt it would make it that much worse to use a Bible.

On the reasons behind the suffering of the world, I got nothing.

Mike Bailey said...

ST--

"in da house" was my intention. Sad when you, one of the two whitest persons in the universe, need to correct me on my cool street lingo. so depressing.

jc--no no no. depressed isn't the response i was trying to encourage. 1st. humor. 2nd. justified anger. 3rd. ironic detachment. 4th. gratitude.

those are some of the emotions i was championing.

s-s: as always, good insights. your biblical exegesis, so to speak, was most impressive.

i like shaking hands, actually. but the risk of grabing a limp fish nearly outweighs the pleasure in a good firm warm handshake.

and nothing beats a voluntary, non-pressure induced hug. but the "semi-involuntary" ones.

brrrrrr.....not good.

Steven Taylor said...

In re: the Bible thing, I once had a pastor who made a point of telling the congregation how he had a pen that used to make notes in his Bible and if that pen was ever used for any other purpose, he had to replace with a new pen that only was used for his Bible.

I don't think that he'd go in for the whole Bible-as-waspswatter bit.

Still, s-s makes a point about the whole sin thing that could certainly be applied to the pen thing described above.

Mike Bailey said...

that's pretty funny about the pastor. and i'm sure the same guy makes fun of catholic "superstitions."

jonbon said...

I hug as often as I can. Do I enjoy putting my arms around another human being? No. Maybe. Yes. Love it! Honestly, i'm ambivalent. I do for 2 reasons: i)germs and ii)so others don't feel my cold hands, the window to my cold heart.

---------

Re: suffering. Hmm. Theodicy. Now that's just tricky theological business. It often takes quite a bit of exegetical gymnastics to get around this, esp when trying to exonerate God for all of human suffering. I avoid it like the plague--both suffering and a theodicy. And by 'like the plague', I mean handshakes. I avoid those too (see first paragraph).

Isn't suffering necessary for survival? It seems evolution could not have occurred or continue to do so without the continual suffering and death of certain species. Because we suffer, we know what to avoid, boldly calculating our next move to avoid portent threats and potential sufferings. idk.

Whatever the case may, God is to blame--at least in part. Either this God chose not to intervene when he/she could. Or said God created a set of preconditions wherein he/she is unable to intervene.

I once read an article that Jesus' suffering was God's great act of solidarity with human suffering. Who knows? Not this guy.

marmaladeinstead said...

s-s is correct; handshakes are a beautiful thing when one considers the awkward and obligatory hugs that frequently accompany Sunday mornings.

As to the rest of your post, I feel a bit sick inside. And it has nothing to do with the entire pint of chocolate ice cream I ate this evening.

Mike Bailey said...

mmlstd--

not having to do the obligatory hug thing, i hadnt' given it to much thought. but y'all may be right.

serious and sincere question: why did the post make you feel sick? i could think of several reasons why it might, but i don't want to presume to know why you feel as you do. so let me know, if you would.

Mike Bailey said...

jb--

thanks for your thoughts on suffering. and handshakes. but mostly on suffering. i like the last paragraph. a lot. very much a harvey kind of perspective, ain't it?