Saturday, February 07, 2009

lines and planes is all



This photo, or really this sequence of three photos, prompted some of the tried and true questions and thoughts that play like a broken record in my mind and here on the blog.

1. How do we make sense of the world? How do we get from point A to point B in an intentional way? How do we make sense of the overwhelming amount of sensory data that hit us?

We filter it out; we ignore virtually all of it.

A wheat field. We don't see the the wheat. We hardly see the wheat field.

2. That's basically what I try to do with my photography: To notice what I normally filter out. To actually look. (Photography has dramatically altered my reality in ways far larger than what I'll write here; perhaps I'll return to this theme in a later post. My orientation of all of life shifted in some ways when I started taking photos, and not all for the better. Arguably a lot of it for the worse.)

Since I've started taking photos, I'm far far better at resisting the cruel tyranny of functionality to notice a thing for what it is visually--shape, color, contrast. I adore shapes, and as I've said a thousand times before I swoon in yearning and pleasure and sorrow from chiarscruo. Colors are not my strong suit.


3. Then I tyrannize over you by forcing you to look at what I see. Which is sorely disappointing to both of us. You're disappointed because as often as not there's nothing there in my photos apart from shapes and colors and contrast of light and dark. No functionality at all. And what's the point of THAT?!

No point. No point at all. Not really.

No message apart from what is evoked by the image itself--mostly mood.

And of course I'm disappointed because you resist the tyranny, as you must.


4. All the clean surfaces and sharp angles and perfect lines of these past few photos just make me so sad. They are so depressing. How do you hook or attach your soul to these planes? You can't. The soul just slips off of them and slides into space, and there you are looking in from the outside in a weird inverted version of Dante's Inferno.

Not good.

5. I wasn't made for photography; I was made for painting. Were I to paint my tyranny would be far greater than it presently is. And yet I can't paint at all.

You're welcome.

4 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

I like it, you tyrant, you.

Mike Bailey said...

you like my tyranny, eh? my job here is complete.

Technoprairie said...

There is a beauty that is in your picture of lines and planes. It isn't a soft beauty that is recognized universally, but there is a pattern and a "complex but unified" theme in your picture. I guess I am trying to say that it is a cold beauty. I see it and think it is beautiful, but it doesn't arose those emotions like some of your other pictures. The one where the woman is looking down the road and it is fall still strikes me as a perfect picture of sadness("Golden Hour of Autumn" - Dec 12th).

Mike Bailey said...

technoprairie--

i can deal with comments like this. cool.

and thanks. i'm glad you like, and i'm especially glad you like the other photo you mentioned. you caught exactly what i was trying to convey.