Thursday, February 12, 2009

UPDATED: You gotta love NOLA!!



Update: So here was a pleasant greeting from cnn.com this morning:

"Hand-holding Family No Match for Tornado."

http://www.koco.com/news/18703666/detail.html

Sigh.....

Did I mention, "Sigh......."?

Now, back to your original program, already in progress.

----

Okay, you know the drill by now. It's not a composite. I took a photo of this passerby's reflection (the man, not the skeleton) in the window, inside which was this cheesy skeleton conjuring up images in a crystal ball.

Which makes you naturally wonder this: Aren't crystal balls most helpful for the living? I mean, what's the point of being dead if it isn't for the certainty of the thing? It's like receiving tenure in a manner. Here's what you need to know if you're a skeleton: You're dead. I don't know what death will be like, but I always sort of saw it in one of five ways:

1. You cease to exist, and that's that. In which case, the whole skeleton with the crystal ball thing is just silly. Good for taking photos, and that's it.

2. You go to heaven, and that's that. In which case, the whole skeleton with the crystal ball thing is just silly.

3. You go to hell, and that's that. In which case, the whole skeleton with the crystal ball thing sounds pretty good. Because though I might not want to make a career of looking into a crystal ball as a skeleton, I can imagine far worse scenarios for hell. Or can I? Maybe the hell part of the crystal ball scenario comes from the torment. "Ah, now I look into this crystal ball to see our future. Ahhh....yes, something is emerging. Yes! I see it clearly now. It's.... It's.... It's....Oh, damn my soul! It's me looking into this crystal ball. For eternity. My eternity is just me looking at myself eternally looking at this crystal ball for eternity. Damn you, mocking infinite regress!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

So if the essence (and certainly the entrance) of hell is this--"Abandon all hope ye who enter here"--then a gift upon entry of a crystal ball that tells the future would be a devilish gift indeed.

Look what you've done now, reader. You've gone and upset me. Again.

4. Purgatory, in which case there is hope for a blessed future, even if that hope comes only by way of purging your sins through a refining fire. In which case, you might want to have that crystal ball handy to discern how much longer of your Extreme Soul Makeover you'll need to endure.

But maybe you don't want the crystal ball. I mean, Dante tells us that the whole purgatory thing will really hurt. Bad. True, it will be a sublime hurt because--we're told--the purging of our sinful nature, while painful, is also accompanied by the joy of becoming more holy. And that's good. But what exactly is the pain to joy ratio of the process? What exactly is the mixture of the two? Is it like the mysterious and supremely complex and wonderful mixture of pleasure and pain connected to love in all its expressions? Or is it more like having a gangrenous wound on your arm cauterize--but instead of getting anaesthesia for the procedure, you get a candy bar instead. True, the chocolate still tastes yummy, but its creamy yumminess is somewhat muted by the excruciating pain and the smell of your burning flesh.

So it's like this. If in purgatory we believe that our release is, like Hoover's promise of economic recovery from the Great Depression, "just around the corner," then we could withstand just about anything--including the candy bar/cauterization scenario. If, however, our crystal ball were to tell you that, oh man, we have another seventeen thousand years of burning flesh fumes to deal with--and the candy bar is getting stale--then you might want to start peeking around for the exit signs.

Which leads you to this question: Is purgatory kind of optional, like going to college? Or is it more like Marines Boot Camp, in which case you still have a choice--going AWOL--but the penalty is stiff? Or is it more like being strapped to an assembly line conveyor belt and you go through the process just trying to transport your mind to another place?

I'm thinking conveyor belt.

In which case, you don't want a crystal ball.

5. You might be subject to metempsychosis. In which case, you'll be wondering as you gaze into your crystal ball, "Why am I a skeleton? Wasn't my spirit supposed to be transplanted into the body of an aardvark or something? Is this whole skeleton simply a way-station? Is it a punishment, or is it a reward? Is it better to have arms I can use as drum sticks, or is it better to be sticking my snout in in ant nests for my next meal? Tell me, crystal ball, tell me!!"

In which case a crystal ball would come in most handy for a skeleton.




This is a creepy picture.

-------

Three other things you need to know.

1. I really like coffee in the morning. I'm on cup number three!!
2. You can't stop me from posting creepy pictures.
3. I learned the word "metempsychosis" from a book about politics.

Boom!

7 comments:

Elisheba said...

Back to the creepy pictures, such joy!

I deeply apologize, dear writer, for upsetting you. But consider, in every epic poem one is forced to read, the hero has to go to the underworld to learn something about him or herself, and I don't know why I'm being gender equal since the epic heroes of antiquity are all men, so maybe dead things are handed crystal balls in case of meeting wandering epic heroes that need advice. Then again, the only specific example I can think of a dead person being asked something is Tiresias, who was blind. Maybe he had a special Braille crystal ball or something.

Steven Taylor said...

2. You can't stop me from posting creepy pictures.

Ok, we can't stop you, but can we contain you?

Andy D. said...

MB -- this is where you are wrong. If you are a skeleton, you are NOT dead. Not necessarily dead anyway. Check it:

1. The Skeleton Army in the old "Sinbad" movie. Prove to me they are dead. They're weilding swords and fighting for crying out loud.

2. The protagonist in Stephen King's "Thinner." Dude was as alive as the day is long.

3. Ric Ocasic. Boom, fact.

4. Jack Skellington from "The Nightmare Before Christmas." Ok actually I withdraw this one, due to a lyric I now remember that he recites which contains a fatal flaw to my argument ("And because I am dead, I can take off my head..."). Just forget I mentioned him.

5. Phyllis Diller. You tell me I'm wrong.

6. Skeleton reading crystal ball. Can't possibly be dead and doing that. Now -- one could argue that a better description is, "dead skeleton propped in window in front of ball." But actually if I were going to beat my "skeleton reading crystal ball must be alive" argument, I would instead argue that a better description is "skeleton holding still long enough for you to photograph that pedestrian walking by in the window, therefore must be dead"...

Anyway you see my point. Skeleton does not necessarily equal dead.

Mike Bailey said...

Andy D--

Rarely have I found myself feeling so wrong and also so proud to be your friend.

I stand corrected. Big time.

You had me at "Ric Ocasic." No reason to even put up a fight after that.

Technoprairie said...

Andy, you forgot all those skeletons in Pirates of the Carribean. They didn't seem dead either.

And you forgot Kate Moss, too.

Mike Bailey said...

technoprairie--ah yes, the evidence against me is piling up like so many bones at a cemetary.

Anonymous said...

You forgot a possibility:

6. You roam the earth as a restless ghost (possibly in the form of a fleshless, but animate skeleton). You find a crystal ball. Pretty.