Friday, January 02, 2009

A song for 2009



Let the river run,
Let all the dreamers
Wake the nation.
Come, the New Jerusalem.

Silver cities rise,
The morning lights
The streets that meet them,
And sirens call them on
With a song.

It's asking for the taking.
Trembling, shaking.
Oh, my heart is aching.

We the great and small
Stand on a star
And blaze a trail of desire
Through the dark'ning dawn.

It's asking for the taking.
Come run with me now,
The sky is the color of blue
You've never even seen
In the eyes of your lover.

--Carly Simon "Let the River Run"

And a stylized image of lovely Chicago with Lake Michigan in the foreground.

3 comments:

Technoprairie said...

Love the picture. It would make a great greeting card (if that wouldn't be too bourgeois for your art).

Mike Bailey said...

No no. I'm all about letting a thousand flowers bloom. There's room for everything including greeting cards. Your mom's cards (though not greeting cards) really are fabulous--some of the best things she does. And if Hallmark offered me a deal (even 25 dollars) to use one of my images for a greeting card, do you think I'd turn it down?

Nope.

Lots of work I take is very sentimental, don't you think? Especially of the kids.

Technoprairie said...

I wouldn't have used sentimental to describe your pictures of the kids. You look at a child and then take a picture that is far different that I would have taken. So perhaps unusual would be a good description. Unusual in a good sense, not in a weird sense. You just look at the world different or at least record it differently in your pictures than most people.