Sunday, August 24, 2008

it begins


Taken in Shenandoah National Park. I stood on a lovely field covering a high point in the park. Quickly emerging on the horizon was a dramatic storm. Lightning began to strike in the near distance and the few hikers in the area started to double-time it back to the road. I took a couple of shots of the storm but I was terribly disappointed in how little contrast between cloud and sky they showed. When I converted one of them to this color scheme, the drama of the scene as I experienced it emerged--though perhaps overstated here in the apocalyptic blood red tones.

5 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

Very cool.

In terms of the contrast issue, part of what you were probably hoping for (the contrast with the clouds) might could've been achieved with lens filters--yet another reason to get an SLR! ;)

Mike Bailey said...

Oh, I know it. But I just purchased a new computer (our old one was becoming "unstable" according to our computer guy), so there goes that money.

Anonymous said...

It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine!

Anonymous said...

or even just turn your point-and-shoot to "cloudy", big guy.

Mike Bailey said...

cloudy, yes. but i searched for a blood-red apocalyptic setting and couldn't find it.

i think i need to write a letter to canon.