Monday, May 11, 2009

My inner Munch.




I informed my wife this evening that I was going upstairs to post something on the blog. I assured her that there would be no more NOLA photos (i.e. death photos). To which she said, "Well, that's a relief."

I should just have the courage to let you sit on this photo without a back story. I don't have that kind of courage.

My daughters each own an American Girl doll. One of the dolls--I think this is Josephina--gets her tangled hair by doing the kinds of things that only American Girl dolls can do. A few months ago my sis-in-law posted on her family-friendly blog some photos demonstrating a technique to straighten out the dolls' hair. The process required soaking their hair in a solution, but the solution mustn't touch the doll's clothing or body. Thus the plastic bag.

When I saw the photos on her blog, I gasped! They were simply....ghastly. I made a comment to that effect on her post, but I'm not sure (and I haven't looked) whether the comment made the cut.

Taking her cue from her older sister, my wife in short order subjected Josephina to this procedure. When I saw the doll I once again gasped and added to the gasp my own version of a Edward Munch-inspired Scream.

The horror.

You know this much about me: Nothing says photo opportunity to me like a sight that draws out my inner Munch.

My only dilemma was whether to manipulate the photos to heighten their evil monstrosity. But in the end, I pretty much left them as is. They speak for themselves plenty well.

Enjoy.

You're welcome.

11 comments:

timekeeper said...

I think every mother would waterboard for her daughter. Right?

I've said too much.

Technoprairie said...

You know since this is your blog and not mine, you should have another photo caption contest for the bottom picture. And I will gladly start you out...

"The Silent Suffering of the Unseen Women of our World"

(that's very deep and arty, isn't it?)

Susan Hasbrouck said...

I tell you I gasped. Then I thought, "He took a photo of someone dying a dead person's hair?" Now I want the directions. We have two AG dolls that look like they could be extras in American Girls Gone Wild.

Elisheba said...

Umm, on the plus side, a doll that is being gruesomely tortured to clean her hair is a doll that does not have human hair which can act as an anchor for the spirit of some dead person which will haunt and murder you.

On the other hand, if this doll comes to life for any reason, she now has good reason to hate you.

jonbon said...

I must confess a lack of surprise at seeing this pic. My own AG dolls go through a similar process monthly.

Susan Hasbrouck said...

Okay, jb, that made me laugh. Tell me, do you do the "Downy Dunk" or simply use a detangler?

Steven Taylor said...

This is glimpse into a world that simple does not exist for me as a father of three boys.

All it looks like to me is that Barbia is a member of al Qaeda and Cheney thinks a ticking timebomb is involved.

jonbon said...

jc~ "Downy Dunk"?!?..."Detangler"?!? I thought these photos were of waterboarding. cf. my previous post. ;-)

marmaladeinstead said...

After all this, did the doll hair's look better?

Mike Bailey said...

mamaladeinstead:

my sis-in-law had great success with the process. our dear josephina, sadly, did not make much improvement. alas.

Technoprairie said...

You really need the final steam treatment to really tame those tangles. I used a travel steamer. For your faithful American Girl followers check out this link for all the instructions.

http://justmagicdolls.com/articles/HairCare/HairCare101.htm