Thursday, November 13, 2008

What, am i bugging you?

At the risk of putting awful tunes in your head (thus the title above), here I want to ask you about some of your favorite most shameful songs--songs that you can't help but dance to or turn up the volume to but are embarrassed or semi-embarrassed to admit to it. I have, oh, about 2, 100 such songs. In no particular order, here is a VERY incomplete list. Here I focus just on some dance songs I love.

I want it That Way--Backstreet Boys

Your woman--White Town. What a great song.

Still D.R.E.---oh, fo sho.

Remember the Name--Fort Minor. Dumb and stupid. Just stupid. And dumb. And I crank it every time.

A fifth of Beethoven--Walter Murphy. 80% Beethoven + 20% Disco = 100% dancing like a fool.

The Hustle--Van McCoy. If you only knew how much I like this song...plus it brings back incredibly powerful complicated feelings from my childhood.

California Love--Tupac and Dre. Music don't get much better than this.

Stayin' Alive--Bee Gees

How deep is your love--Bee Gees. This song nearly makes me cry and, no, for the reason it makes you cry. I think it's so sincere and sad and kind of desperate. "Cause we're living in a world of fools/breaking us down/when they all should let us be."

Okay, most things by the Bee Gees.

Waiting for a Star--Boy Meets a Girl. I have ALWAYS loved this song just from the opening strain. Can't help it. This completely baffles my wife who hears this song and just knows in her gut that I really detest it. Nope. Love it.

Hit Me Baby One More Time--Britney Spears. I love this song.

LOVE IT.

LOVE

IT.

I play poker with some guys, and I'm the music guy. I had a playlist that included this song. I'm still living that moment down. And will forever need to live it down. I don't care. No apologies here.

Because you know what, I always knew that her loneliness really was killing her. I could just tell from the song; I believed her.

Mmmmbop by Hanson. This song is FABULOUS. No joke. It's a great song. The lyrics are really smart if you give them a listen.

Safety Dance--Men without hands.

Gonna Make you Sweat---C&C Music Factory

Everytime we touch--??

Butterfly--Crazy Town. Look away, I'm hideous. White-boy rap at its whitest and most ridiculously nasty. Just stupid. But turn it up, will ya?

Groove is in the heart--DeeLite. I also loved the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN14eZFfxLk I had a thing for Miss Deelite.

Heaven---techno version. DJ Sammy

Freedom--George Michael. Okay, there's nothing wrong with this song. It's great. What's embarrassing is how MUCH I like this song. One of my all-time favorites. Just an obscene beat and rhythm and bass.

What is Love--Haddaway. Go ahead. Laugh. But you try not to dance, you big faker.

Centerfold--J. Geils Band. Memories of the 8th grade basketball trips on the bus.

Big Pimpin'--Jay-Z. Sometimes the best songs just happen to be about pimpin. In this case, big pimpin'.

Sexyback--Justin Timberlake. STU-PID. But impossible to turn off; I gots to take it to the bridge.

Gold Digger--Kanye West. Man, a GREAT song. Fantastic. Sexy beat and funny lyrics.

Milkshake--Kelis. No comment.

Something--Lasgo. Techno shouldn't make you cry. This one comes close. Beautiful.

I need to know--Marc Antony

Get UR Freak on--Missy Elliott. Just the best song ever written. Or just about. "Holler!!!" No shame in putting this on the list.

Take Me Away--Mix Factory. I find this song strangely moving.

Let it rain--4 strings.

Sabotage--Beastie Boys. Dude, this song rocks.

Okay, not all those are embarrassing. Still, you get the idea. Bring 'em on. I'll list some non-dance music next.

8 comments:

Elisheba said...

(I lost my heart to a) Starship Trooper--Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip. This song has no redeeming features whatsoever, and yet...

Date Rape--Sublime. I know all the words, and sing along.

Rock me Amadeus--Falco. German rap about Mozart, it's so much fun.

Rock the LMC--LMC. This is like every stereotype of bad J-Rock rolled into one hideous thing.

Mike Bailey said...

Oh, I almost included Rock Me Amadeus, but I feared know one would know it.

Anonymous said...

Why is every Air Supply song now in my head? I doubt they every could "Make all the stadiums rock!" but I sing it like I could. "I'm all out of love" (but I have plenty of groveling left).

Mike Bailey said...

that's because those songs are ALWAYS in your head. and you know you're not ashamed of it. you revel in it, and half the time you catch me singing along. and for that "I" am ashamed. a terrible, terrible influence you are.

Susan Hasbrouck said...

for me, anything by air supply, foreigner, spandau ballet or journey is my favorite undance music. i'm obligated to sing along by virtue of my age but they remind me of being a junior high wallflower. i know you'll find that hard to imagine.

Technoprairie said...

Love Shack - B52s

She Blinded me with Science - Dolby

Songs I'm ashamed to know all the words to and remember the videos well, but I still like them - Van halen songs from the mid 80's like Jump!

Erica said...

Mmmmbop, really??

Mike Bailey said...

cowgirle--

sure. it's a good song about how short life is: "in an mmmmmbop, we're gone." it's also about the uncertainty of knowing who others are and who our genuine friends are. I quickly looked at your profile, and it's pretty clear you're quite devout. So it might interest you to know that the Hanson brothers are also quite devout, and this song reflects their beliefs.

thanks for the note.