Sunday, November 16, 2008

light and water, part 1





I took these a while back and I don't think I enhanced them. I remember the evening looking magical.

I was standing at the side of the shore of this lake with a walking path. The sunset was gorgeous, and it was one of those "what a miracle life is, and what a miracle beauty is" kind of moments. I was alone, but I very much felt connected to the goodness of the order of things. Cliched as it was, I felt part of nature, and I was glad for the feeling. The goodness of being itself seemed unquestionable at that moment.

In the midst of this beauty, bathed in this gorgeous sunset, a middle-aged and clearly blue-collar woman walked up to me and said, "What you taking pictures of? A fish?"

Ahh
....yes, well maybe the moment wasn't as universally magical as I had at first thought.

"No ma'am, just the sky."

"Huh." And off she walked.


Maybe it's true. Maybe I am a weirdo.
-------
Promise: More shameful songs coming.


2 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

No, she's the weirdo (or, if she's normal, I don't wanna be normal). Those are great pics--I especially like the top on. Of course, I am a sucker for sunsets and for reflections--so a reflected sunset simply rocks.

Mike Bailey said...

Thanks for the props. Anyone could have taken great photos on this evening. What you don't see is how expansive the colors were. They seemed to reach just everywhere, not just toward the west.