Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Blue


So I don't think of myself as much of a colorist, but it turns out I'm quite drawn to blue.   Here I sample some blue photos in this video.  I put this together very quickly (it took 2-3 hours, I suppose), and I wasn't going for interesting cuts, or even interesting sequencing, nearly as much as simply responding to the music. I came nowhere close to going through all my photos, but I did quickly survey most of my blog posts.  I had a tough editing choice, as Rhapsody in Blue lasts some sixteen minutes or so.  I knew my computer could handle about 3-4 minutes of editing, but I found the prospect of cutting out either the beginning or the conclusion of the piece simply appalling.  So I made an editing choice and joined two pieces together in the best place I could find.  I'm sure Claudia will faint from emotional duress when she hears how I butchered the piece.

Yet again, I struggled to come up with a fitting and strong ending.  I decided to play off the title and give you some cheese with my final picture-- some "blue cheese," as it were.  Despite its cheesiness, I think it somehow still works.

Hope you enjoy it.

7 comments:

Andy D. said...

I like this.

I know you don't take requests so... so I have a challange for you.

I challange you to make something legitimate (i.e., not intentionally stupid just to shame me...) using your photos set to all or some segment of "Octopus' Garden." It's been so hot lately, that song has been on my mind, not as a summer classic, but as a good old dose of melancholy and as evoking just cool shaded summer relaxation...

A.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Quite the contrary, I didn't mind the musical editing at all. I was so transfixed by the fabulous photography (I mean that) that I barely noticed. This is cool. I'd like to have a way to slow it down to take a closer look at some of the photos...especially the peas in the pod on that famous blue table. Bravo. I love it!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I'd put in a vote for Octopus' Garden as well. Good idea for a challenge AD!

Technoprairie said...

I like it. Especially at 2:26 (I think) when the music swells and you have a huge blue picture. Very nice.

Andy D. said...

Karen at first I was like, "how does Karen know what happens at 2:26 of Octopus's Garden? Does the song even GO that long?? Now THAT is a Ringo fan!!!" But then I got it.... I was about to put it in the ol' cd player and cue it up!

Mike -- another, uh, challenge. Certainly not a request. But a challenge. Could you, uh, overdub some of the submarine talking parts from Yellow Submarine, into Octopus's Garden for us, at some appropriate place, in the challenge version you're doing for Claudia and me? I've always wanted to hear it that way. I mean, errr, I don't think it can be done. And so I'll challenge you to do it.

But please do it nicely. Not heavy-handed like the Gershwin "forcibly fusing two pieces of clay" approach here. Make it fit real nice now, ya'hear?

Frankly the Beatles missed such an obvious opportunity for greatness, not using that submarine dialog in many more of their songs. That s*** is gen-ius.

A.

Mike Bailey said...

Claudia--I'm glad I've been contraried by you. I appreciate your kind words, and I'm glad the music editing caused not fainting.

Karen--Cool. Glad you like it.

Andy--Oh, I see that worm dangling there, tempting me. Fortunately, I see the steel hook as well. There ain't no way one can combine those two songs. I'm confident their efforts to do so is the chief cause of The Beatles breaking up. I *might* try one song. Or another.

Not bofes.

Andy D. said...

"Full speed ahead!!.... Captain!! Captain!!!...."