Friday, January 18, 2008

building and moon


I have taken only a few photos of the moon. It's too hard; I don't know how to do it. In fact, I find a fair number of subjects beautiful but too challenging to capture well in photography:
Fire. The moon. Rocks under flowing water. There are several others. Capturing the excitement of anything moving--wind through the grass or trees, for example--doesn't translate well to photography unless you capture a moment that dramatically conveys the shape and direction of the motion. It's definitely not one of my strengths. Plus I don't know much about the mechanics of a camera. So...I just avoid those kinds of photos.
I posted this picture not because it's especially good--it is just the best photo of the moon I've taken. I think you need to contrast the moon with a terrestrial object to give the moon some visual context. I don't know--not really, anyway.
Helpful hints, anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

michael, i'm really just beginning the process of learning what my camera can do beyond point and shoot. it's an understatement to say that there's a lot of information out there. the following link is to one guy's top ten list of digital camera tips. while some seem more interesting than others, the great thing about
his examples is that he tells exactly what settings he used on his Canon powershot to achieve the photos. they include a nice discussion about shooting moving water.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/10/22/digi_photo_tips.html

hope that adds a small piece to the puzzle.

Anonymous said...

i don't know why part of the address got cut off. i made sure the whole thing pasted in. anyway, here's what was lost...

i_photo_tips.html