Monday, February 27, 2006

Where's my Mojo?

Last summer our family went to the beach. As we were walking up to the waves, I admonished my children from taking their disposable cameras into the water. Literally within thirty seconds of offering this bit of parental wisdom, I immediately proceeded to go into the water, bend down to pick up a shell, and have a wave hit my own (six-month old) digital camera which was hanging from my neck on a strap. I then did the worst thing imaginable, which was to turn the camera on and off multiple times, shorting it out permanently. I immediately sensed my photo Mojo disappearing from my soul like water leaving a sieve. That was some six or seven months ago, and I haven’t been able to recover it. I still own a digital camera, the one with which I took most of the pictures on this blog. But I am still lacking not only the desire to take pictures but also the eye. Before the incident, I was beginning to view the world as a photographer; now, I have no eye for composition. Very sad. How does one recover Mojo? Is it the case, once lost forever lost?

In tribute to my lost camera, I post here one of the first pictures I took with it. Marbles in a mason-jar lid, resting on the bathroom floor and lit by a flashlight.

3 comments:

Technoprairie said...

I think you will recover your Mojo, but it will be slow. Like recovering your faith in someone who has broken your trust. It takes time and little baby steps of trust.

Mike Bailey said...

Thanks for the encouraging note. I think that now I know my old camera is all I have--I got official word that my newer camera cannot be repaired--I will work on taking more pictures once again. Also, taking pictures just takes time, and that's been in short supply for me this academic year.

Technoprairie said...

By the way, in the meantime, you could get some mojo back using this recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/119300